🥓 It’s cheat meal time, BACON Mac and Cheese
Caramelized Onions, Optional 2 large yellow onions 2 Tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mac and Cheese
6 strips thick-cut bacon, hickory smoked is great 1 lb. medium pasta shells 1/4 cup butter, not needed if you have enough bacon drippings 1/4 cup flour 1 cup heavy cream 2 cups milk 1 teaspoon mustard powder ½ teaspoon dried thyme ¼ teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon hot sauce 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded.
Bacon and onion details on blog.
Make the Sauce/Cook the Pasta
* Note: Now is a good time to start boiling salted pasta water for the shells.
* Heat the bacon drippings over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and stir continuously for 2 minutes.
* Add the heavy cream in splashes, stirring continuously. Don’t add it too quickly or the roux will break. Add the milk in the same manner.
* Add the mustard powder, thyme, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
* Cook the Pasta until just al dente (refer to package instructions), don’t overcook. Drain.
* Reduce the heat of the sauce to low and let the base cool slightly. Gradually sprinkle in the cheese, stirring continuously until incorporated. Add the caramelized onions, then the drained pasta. Use a silicone spatula to stir until combined.
* Roughly chop the bacon and sprinkle it over the mac and cheese. You may stir some of it in as well.
* Garnish with parsley and serve!
Credit by unknown. DM us for editing please ❤